Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Sunday, May 13, 2007

First antenatal check

21 September 2005
I forgot how many weeks pregnant I was when I went for my first check up. But it was quite late, round about the third month. I regret I never keep a copy of my health checks record. Actually I requested one weeks after I left the hospital after giving birth but they never manage to give it to me.

All the basic stuffs for first check ups -> filling in forms, taking measurements, blood and urine sample. Was given a 'Pregnancy hand-held record' which I'm told to carry with me all the time just in case there's an accident, a baby diary which I never keep up-to-date, and the first Bounty Bag for mums-to-be which contains lots of goodies like magazines, samples and brochures.

I was given a few choices of antenatal and birthing care and asked to choose one, but I didn't know anything at that time so I just asked the midwife to help me choose. She said she will put me on a waiting list on something but I didn't know what then. It was actually the Midwifery Group Practice (MGP), which is 'a midwife-led model of maternity care that offers continuity of midwifery carer to women and their families throughout pregnancy, birth and the early weeks at home with a new baby'. With this, I will be cared by a group of same midwives. This was a new service with certain restrictions and with limited places. There are other types of antenatal care but the one I eventually took was hospital care where I saw midwives at the hospital clinic. I was seeing the same midwife until my last visit because she was pregnant too and began her maternity leave already. I only knew that MGP was the better choice when it was too late. The hospital actually called me before to inform me that I was going up on the waiting list but me being stupid and told them I don't mind the type of care that I get, so I guessed they kick me out of the list.

Before I left I was to make an appointment for my next visit and ultrasound on my 20th week. I already planned to take a visit back to KL at the end of the month for about two months so I would skip one check up but the midwife said it was fine. So my next check up will be on my 20th week gestation together with the ultrasound.

5 comments:

Mommibee says HI from Sydney said...

i was also blur blur at the options given at the time and they recommended the midwifery group care which turned out really great, love ALL the midwives there especially a guy who is ahem ahem ... err ... gay :P I also didnt know we didnt hv to pay a single cent for my caesarean or the hospital stay, actually not a single cent throughout my care. It was at Hornsby Kuringai Hospital, two beds per room, it was really great. i haven't keep Bee's blue book uptddate too except for the jabs and doctor's consultation + health nurse check ups.

LiL'deviL said...

g: Although you're not in Adelaide, it's still so nice to have someone in the same country with similar experiences. I knew that we didn't have to pay anything at all if we go public. I tried to go private but because Ethan was an 'accident' we can't since there's a waiting period of at least 12 months for OB care. Turned out there wasn't much difference between public and private. If you're private you get to choose your own doctor/midwife. That didn't bother me at all since I don't know any good doctor/midwife. I was at the Women & Children's Hospital. Wonderful staffs and excellent service. Two beds in a room is the most they have. I was in the double room (the other bed was unoccupied most of the time) before I gave birth and in a single room after.

Anonymous said...

Meant to ask you your location in Adelaide. We are going back this July/Aug for our yearly break. Maybe we can meet up then.

LiL'deviL said...

mrs.wallace: That'd be fun! Can you email me at joannkee@gmail.com and I'll let you know there.

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.kfarbair.com][img]http://www.kfarbair.com/_images/_photos/photo_big8.jpg[/img][/url]

בית מלון [url=http://www.kfarbair.com]כפר בעיר[/url] - שלווה, [url=http://www.kfarbair.com/about.html]חדרים[/url] מרווחים, אינטימיות, [url=http://kfarbair.com/services.html]שקט[/url] . אנחנו מציעים שירותי אירוח מיוחדים גם יש במקום שירות חדרים המכיל [url=http://www.kfarbair.com/eng/index.html]ארוחות רומנטיות[/url] במחירים מפתיעים אשר יוגשו ישירות לחדרכם.

לפרטים נא לפנות לאתרנו - [url=http://kfarbair.com]כפר בעיר[/url] [url=http://www.kfarbair.com/contact.html][img]http://www.kfarbair.com/_images/apixel.gif[/img][/url]