Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Saturday, May 05, 2007

The day after daddy's day off

01 May 2007
Ethan woke up at about 5:30am and I fed him again but he took less than usual. Gave him another dose of Panadol and took him temp again and this time it was 38.7C. I thought that was quite high so I called the Parent Helpline and asked if he should be admitted. The lady told me that they would only advise to bring the child to ER if he's 39.5C. She told me to take his temp 45 mins after I gave him Panadol and go and have him checked up with the doctor. So I did and his temp did go down a little. Called up GP later in the morning and he was fully-booked but the receptionist was nice enough to squeeze Ethan in as I told her it was kind of an emergency.

The GP didn't really examine Ethan, as always. I don't know about other doctors around here but Brandon's doctor is really thorough. He talks about things like food and sleep, and Brandon gets measured everytime even just for immunisation. This GP doesn't seem to do much, just check his ears, listen to his lungs and tummy, and try to check his throat (difficult because Ethan will bite on the stick and refuse to open his mouth, and then he'll just scream). I wonder if I should worry and change to another GP. But I don't know which one is good. I pick this one is because it's neareast to where we live, and we can walk there. We are looking to get a private health insurance soon so that we could get a paediatrician from the hospital to look after Ethan. We are currently on public health so everything is free, so good.

Anyway, the GP's diagnosis was Ethan got hit by some virus. Told me to keep up his fluid intake since he won't have appetite and keep giving him Panadol. He also suggested to give him a warm bath to take the fever down. If he brings up his food then we will need to bring him in again. So we got home and he was like normal, playing with his toys and all, except he was still warm. He wouldn't eat much, and that includes milk as well. I was really worried that he might be hungry, so I gave him something he won't reject, yoghurt, and that's what he had for dinner that day.

Before he sleeps I gave him some milk which again, he didn't finish. He was able to sleep so I thought he should be okay. He woke up crying after a while so I tried to settle him back to sleep. He realised that he was in his cot, which he hates because it's confined, he wants me to pick him up which I didn't because I was so frustrated and tired. He cried and screams as I was trying to force him to sleep in his cot. Because he screamed so loud and hard, he started coughing and vomited his milk and yoghurt out on his one-day old bedsheet and of course all over himself. So had to take a bath again. His fever subsided after the bath. I didn't bother to put him back to sleep because that would only make me more frustrated, so I just waited for Eddie to come back.

When he came home he put Ethan to bed while I have my dinner. I was supposed to make something but Ethan was occupying me the whole night so I couldn't. I also didn't have appetite to eat by the time Eddie came home. It was a long and tiring day.

9 comments:

LA My Home said...

i think most probably is his molars coming out. the big teeth. you open his mouth and check if there's any bulging at the back. sometimes that will trigger fever and lost of appetite.

of course our peds is thorough. hey we pay him $20 each time. then the insurance cover the rest. but he is a nice doctor. very friendly and likes to talk talk talk also.

Mommibee says HI from Sydney said...

wow sounds like a tiring day indeed! we're on medicare too but might go private for the sake of the little one. Our GP isn't thorough too. we go there coz it's very near to us. Bee only gets measured & weighed when we do the compulsory examinations by the doctor. I can understand they dont always do measurements & such since they are not paeds (moreover, we're supposed to go to the local health nurse for the monthly weight & height measurements) and because there is always a whole lot of patients waiting (every time had to wait at least 1 -2 hours!) and they only have one nurse to help on certain days. But ... hmm not exactly free since medicare levy is imposed on our tax return :(

LiL'deviL said...

la my home: Yeah, I called the helpline again today after he had 3 runny poos each day for the second day. She also told me it might be the molars. Told me to apply teething gel and see if he still want to eat or not. If not then maybe it's gastro.

g: Because Ethan is prem, we had to do his checks at the hospital but they let him go at his last one, the 6 months. So I really want to get a private health cover before his next check up at 18 months.

We also go to the local child & youth health to measure him but they have the scales there so we can do it ourselves. But we stopped when he turned one.

We don't pay the Medicare levy because we're low income earners. (That's why still no house la) Are you getting allowance from Centrelink? The family tax benefit thingy?

wHOisBaBy said...

brandon likes to chew on his fingers now until his fingers so wet ... somemore got drool so the bibs all wet from all these ... i think more teeth are coming out soon.

wHOisBaBy said...

tagged u from my blog. do when u have time lar. if you have no one to tag is ok also. when i started also no one to tag one.

Mommibee says HI from Sydney said...

oh sori to hear ethan's still not well. hope he'll be fine soon. yep i do get paid the family tax benefit allowance fortnightly.

Anonymous said...

awww... poor you! I had similar expirience a few weeks back.

When babies are sick, they will lose their appetite so don't have to force them to eat if they reject food that you've offered. If they are hungry they will sure eat automatically.

Lately there seems to be some kind of virus going around attacking babies and toddlers. Could be the crazy weather.

Sweetpea said...

hi, dropped by through wHOisBaBy. g'day matey! adelaide, sydney, melb :) i think it's better to look for a new doc if you are not comfy with the current one. we don't have health care cards, but for my doc, aidan gets bulk-billed. we do receive the minimum of about $40odd fortnightly, and any extra they'll pay us after the financial year ends. not bad lor.

LiL'deviL said...

whoisbaby: Ethan is still chewing on his fingers, sometimes until bruise. Also, he bit my thigh and the mark is still here after about a week. It's not so clear now but will take a photo and blog it...kekeke...

Saw your tag, will blog on next post.

g: Thanks for your concern, Ethan is well now.

angeleyes: After a while I just gave up on feeding him according to the time like I do usually. Only fed him when he wanted to eat.

sweetpea: Hi there, thanks for visiting! I'd like to change doctor, but how do I know who's good? Our current GP is also bulk-billed. But we have health care card. Even when I didn't have the card before I didn't have to pay anything. Cause low income mar.